Saturday, November 24, 2007

your love, oh Lord, reaches to the heavens...Your faithfulness, stretches to the sky...You righteousness is like the mighty mountains...





Visiting Mt. Fuji recently, reminded me of the majesty and grandness of God's creation. Not only did I see it from a distance, but I had the chance to drive up the side with a couple friends. As we drove up the 3000m climb, we got out of the car periodically, to take in the view and to feel the ground under our feet. As we got closer and closer, making it to 2000m, we realized we could not go any further -due to slippery road conditions and intense fog. But, as I stood, and gazed at the snowy peak above me...I realized that my time in Japan is much bigger than me. I think I'm just beginning to realize that I can't fathom what kind of impact this will have on my life. As I felt the cold air on my nose and saw the clouds at eye level, it was almost as if I had arrived somewhere. Not only Mt.Fuji. If I looked away for a mere 2 minutes, it would be covered in thick clouds. Then, I would look again, and it was as clear as anything. A small window of time allowed for a fantastic view. And even though the clouds covered it from time to time, I knew was lay beyond them.

Mt. Fuji was a part of my trip to Tokyo last weekend. And while many things in Tokyo were eye catching, strange, beautiful and neon...it is the image of the straight slope of Fuji that permiates my mind today. I feel lucky because I not only had the chance to see Mt. Fuji 2000m up, but I also saw it in the distance from taking the bullet train back to Osaka. I was told that the mountain is often "shy" - hiding itself with its variable sky conditions. But, as I looked out the window of the Shinkansen early Monday morning to my right...there it was. Almost as if the clouds perfectly parted for me to see it.

Seeing such a famous landmark and symbol of Japan, in such a small and perfect window of time, was a gift. A gift I want to carry with me as I leave this country in 5 days.

I just don't think I will ever get over this...

1 comment:

bri said...

these are beautiful photos jane!