Thursday, November 15, 2007

the setting sun on shikoku island


My recent travels took me to the island of Shikoku, one of Japan's four main islands. It is known for being a place where my people go on spiritual pilgrammages to 88 temples around the island. And as I walked throug the streets of one city, Kochi, there is evidence of such people wearing the traitional cone shaped hats and white clothing, carrying a backpack and a walking staff. There is something different in the air on this island.

Getting out of Osaka, and taking the overnight bus trip across to another island, I immediately noticed the mountains became more visible and now that the leaves are finally turning in Japan, its as if someone has taken a paintbrush over the hills here. I arrive early in the morning to see the sunrise over the city of Kochi, which is over 80% mountinous.

I meet my friend living in Kochi and am instantly struck by the lack of concrete and tall buildings. I can see the faces of people and can smell the fresh mountain air. And the ocean in the distance.

During my 2 day stay in Kochi, it was as if time stood still. We walked through a famous market - filled with the freshest of fruit and vegtables, fish and local hand made crafts. The day is sunny and the peoples faces are equally so. I look around and notice there are more elderly people around, keen to make eye contact and show their sometimes toothless grins. Many people offer us pieces of fruit and welcome us to try some of their special sweets. We then make our way to Kochi Castle, where a local woman, Masako, gives us a tour of one of the oldest orignal castles in Japan. One thing I love about Japan is its people and how they seemingly adopt you for a day. We mention to Masako that we are interested in going to the beach Katsurahama, known for its shrine on the edge of a cliff. She not only tells us how to get there, but she drives us in her car, just in time to see the sunset.

As we made our way down to the beach, and it was getting dark. We walk up the set of white stairs, and come to the torrii gate and the sun is setting on the other side. At this moment, I thought to myself, I have entered a new season. The sun is setting on this experience in Japan, and I am about to enter into a new one. Among my experiences on Shikoku Island for the two days, this sunset remains imprinted in my minds eye. I look infront of me and there is only sea and sky. I look behind me and there is a shrine. I look even further behind me and there is a set of stairs leading down to the sand. I make my way down the stairs, wanting to soak in everything sensory thing I feel around me. The sound of the ocean, the first star in the sky, the smell of the ocean air, and somehow God placing His strong hand on me...and whispering in my ear...

Knowing that I'm leaving Japan at the end of the month, has seemingly made things more rich. I can't articulate it really. I remember during university, one of my professors saying to me that it is often the most the meaningful things that are the hardest to articulate. We are taken beyond. And met in a new place. A place that is deeper and richer. A more mysterious place, and yet somehow more familiar at the same time. I don't really know about mysterious things, but I know that this country has left its mark on me. I don't really even know in what ways. But, I feel its weight and significance.

1 comment:

bri said...

i love reading about your experiences, but at the end of this post, I spontaneously shouted "I want you home!"