Monday, June 25, 2007

to my grandpa...

Mom, here are my thoughts for grandpas funeral. I hope this is ok. Its so hard to sum him up in one word.


Dear Grandpa,

I can remember as kids, Julie and always had good memories of you. Whether it was playing in our backyard at Glenmore, being chased up the stairs by you, or being given those whisker rubs that we claimed we always hated (but really, now that I think about it they made us laugh). And your joy-filled laughter still echoes in my mind, as I recall sitting on your lap numerous times during Christmas holidays. And you never hesitated to dish out the tickle attacks on Julie and I.

One thing that will always remain etched in my mind was your ability to make anything with your hands. So intricitely. So carefully. Anything that you ever made for Julie and I, you signed it, you left your mark somehow. So there was no mistaking who made it. We have countless doll houses, a rocking horse and numberous miniature figures that you always wrote a note on and signed. There is evidence of you all around. I can still smell the fresh wood shavings of your shop in the garage, when we would come over to you and grandmas house. You have made your stamp on my childhood, and your memory will be engraved in my heart forever.

It breaks my heart that I can't be there today to celebrate your life, and to think about all that you have done and accomplished. I think what I have learned being here in Japan and having this experience, is that life is to be treasured and not taken for granted. Especially, remembering to value those we care about. You are one of those people. And to hold them close. Like a special charm in our pocket that we always carry with us.

So Grandpa, I guess this is goodbye for now. Until we meet again. I love you.

Jane

No comments: