Wednesday, January 24, 2007

a treasured moment to be sure...


This was taken a Fushimi-Inari Shrine today. (you can click on the pictures link to see more from today if you like!) Lined with these beautiful and unique red posts along the path up the mountain, my senses were overwhelmed with colour. This shrine is in the south eastern outskirts of Kyoto. I met the cutest school girls here today. They were all so excited to practice their english with me and shake my hand. Some of them even followed me, just so they could say hello and goodbye in English, just one more time!

Today, I really felt like I went on a trip. Far out of Osaka. To where the air felt different. The sounds of the city diminished. A nice long , fast train ride to the shrine. It was one of those days where I could go where I could walk where I wanted, sit when I wanted, write when I wanted and just spend time enjoying nature and the beauty of asian culture and arcitecture.

This prefecture outside Kyoto felt very residential and old style Japanese. Children playing in the street. Small coffee shops. A small, old train station.

I also complemented the day with another onsen in the evening. This time, in Kurama...even further outside the city. A very old, rustic outdoor onsen. A shuttle from the train station takes you here, where you can soak under the stars. When I arrived, there were many Japanese women chatting. But, then there seemed to be no one, to my surprise. I had the onsen all to myself. Lets just say, it was truely wonderful. Being in a dark, secluded, rustic, outdoor bath, under the stars. A perfect end my day off.

No comments: