Monday, November 20, 2006

finding quiet, in the noise of the city

"When you travel, you experience, in a very practical way, the act of rebirth. You confront completely new situations, the day passes more slowly, and on most journeys you don't even understand the language the people speak. So you are like a child just out of the womb. You begin to be more accessible to others because they may be able to help you in difficult situations. And you accept any small favor from the gods with great delight, as if it were an episode you would remember for the rest of your life."

-from Paulo Coelho's "The Pilgramage." A constant source of strength for me. A must read!!!

----
Yes, I'm still alive. I hope I haven't lost my blogging-edge. (as I stretch my fingers, and begin to write). Thanks for your patience with me. I know Bri, it has been too long. Glad to see you all again. Drinking oolong tea right now, I can pour you a cup, if you like?

I guess a major theme of the last couple weeks has been: faith. I feel like it has been tested and stretched in everyway. With work, with coping with living in this country, with coming to terms with myself, my weaknesses and strengths. Both, I'm learning to be ok with. I think sometimes, when God calls us into somesort of wilderness, its not easy by any means, but he's teaching me that I'm not alone. I hear it in the voice of strangers, in the kindness of my students, and in the rain as I fall asleep at night.

I'm so tired of being pre-occupied with my lack of internet access ("You don't know what you've got till, its gone"). We finally got our Yahoo package in the mail. I am at peace!!! Not having internet has really made me realize actually how important communication is. The meaningful and regular kind. At times, I have felt claustrophobic about living in such a big city, in this small apartment. big city...small apartment... Hey, I need to write a song. Wheres a pen...

God has really been letting me know that when we sometimes go into journeys on our own, its defanitely not an easy road, but he always promises that we will not go alone. He has really been providing me with some incredible people over the last couple weeks. I have made, it seems, many friends in a short amount of time.
Yuji is quickly becoming a very good friend of mine (after our 4 hour conversation at Starbucks, after we both finished work!! Don't know if it was the coffee that kept us going or our love of hearing each other fumble through each others languages!). We talked about travel, books, things we love, things we hate. It was refreshing. I hadn't had a good conversation like that in a while.
Cho, who also works with Yuji, has promised to take me out to my first sushi train restraunt in the next week. I think they have seriously mistaken me for some sort of coffee expert there, because Cho had invited me to a coffee party that she was organizing. We were asked to rate coffee, and describe the boldness and flavor. While most of the words she had written were in Japanese, she has translated the words into English just for me. She said said that she had been working for 3 days on the translation. I was blown away at her thoughtfulness. (If only they new that I don't actually go to starbucks for the coffee!!!ha. ha.)

I have recently disovered a really fantastic old-style coffee shop/bar down the street from my apartment as well. Sarah, my newest friend took me to their Friday night live music session a couple weeks ago. Papillion is owned by Ryuji and Kumiko, a crazy little Japanese couple, who love people, beer and coffee. There are so many foreigners who come here. Ryuji and Kumiko are known to give you free drinks every now and again. They have a live band every Friday, where people can get up and sing and basically a fool of themselves (and no, I haven't don't this yet. I'm still new to this!). So many other english teachers live in the area, so its been great to mingle with them and to know that we are all having similar experiences.

It seems that the weather has changed dramatically here in the last couple weeks. From hot and humid, to cold and rainy. Which has prooven to be some interesting bicycle rides to the train station some mornings. But, as I make my way to Kita Senri, every morning has become more and more beautiful. The mountains in the distance are decorated with layers of bright red and yellow trees. Its hard to believe that its late November, and Japan is just starting to have fall colours. I am desperate to visit Kyoto to emerse myself in more of the colour and to experience hiking in Arashiyama, a popular spot where the trails lead to many temples and shrines. And a near by rice field I have been wanting to see.

Since the recentl addition to our apartment, Alicia (from the states), I have moved into perhaps the most lovely room I have ever stayed in. Really japanese tatami mats and a balcony sliding window to the outside of our apartment. I so feel at peace in this room. It has been so nice to actually hear the rain as I fall asleep in my futon at night. We are tryng to make our apartment more and more cozy as the days go by.

Work is busy lately. Many training sessions and such, and working overtime tommorrow, so not much of a chance to get out of the city lately. Having that itch again to explore. I don' t think that will ever wear off. I guess living in this city has really made me try to intentional about seeing more of this country.

Wow, that was a big BLAHHH, as DSO would say (for those who know who I'm talking about!). Oh, that felt good. I'm so happy to let you know what I'm up to, and to share my thoughts with all of you. Well, the ones I'm willing to be made public anyways.
Its hard sometimes to put into words, what I'm experiencing here. Somedays are really hard, but most days are incredible here. I never know what I'm going to see. All I know is, that air is different here. I think I might be growing into myself. Please know that I think of you often and miss you all.


Thanks for checking in.
So much love.

Jane.

Ps - Mom, thanks for the sweet Canadian scarf and the KD. Both came at the perfect time. I laughed - very hard.
PPS - Julie, all the sandwich bread actually is crustless here. They sell it in special packages even. I think of you everytime I each a sandwich. Why does it have to be so friggin expensive? Theres no crust! What am I actually paying more for? Hmm...

No comments: