Tuesday, August 15, 2006

potentially living in a nutshell. literally.

Just found out today that my home for the next year is Osaka (sounds cool if you stress the "ssssssss" sound)! I have been waiting for this info for a while. My apartment sounds great too. A little worried though when I was reading (and I quote) "Room size is typically measured in tatami, traditional Japanese mats, approximately 3 x 6 feet." So, I thought to myself, I will be living in a closet for the next year. Hmmm. Better pack light.
My friend Megan assured me that this is probably not the size of the whole room, just a mat. I think its most likely walking space in the room - I do have a futon and sliding Japanese doors though!
Just a taste of whats to come, I'm sure. Ha.Ha.

Thanks for stopping by.
Jane.

2 comments:

Candice said...

Hi Jane!

I just skimmed your blog as it's late, but I will read it sometime. The picture from Heritage Days though... I watched that there, and I LOVED it... it was probably one of my most favorite parts of the weekend. Enjoy the next couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love reading your blogs! Tatami rooms are usually made of 6 mats, so it is a decent size - not overly huge, but roomy enough.

Osaka is a good city - big, but super close to Kyoto (actually, you cannot tell where one ends and the other begins).

If the large concreteness of Osaka ever gets you down then try to do some weekend trips into neighboring towns which can have a lot of charm and have a nicer, small town feel to them.