Monday, August 14, 2006

central heating?

You must check out the Alberta Provincal Museum right now, they have an exhibit on called "From Geisha to Diva" - featuring kimonos of a very famous performer/geisha in Japan in the early 60's. Although the exhibit is in a smaller room, its fascinating! Its amazing that they use kimonos for so many different occasions, customs etc. To clean the kimonos, I found out that they actually have to take the whole thing apart, wash it, hang the pieces to dry and then stitch it up again. Too much work if you ask me. But, I guess if the matieral is so expensive and delicate, it makes sense.

Funny thing I found out the other day. In Japanese apartments, there is no central heating. Often people will just have their own little space heater, but there is also the option of heated toilet seats as well. Just crank 'er right up, and it will heat your apartment no problem (or your bum, you know, whatever suits your fancy.)

Ps. I changed the blog so that now anyone can comment, not just bloggers or registered users. So, feel free to comment anytime you like. (thanks for the tip Sarah!)

Thanks for checking in.
12 days until I leave E town!

No comments: