Saturday, March 24, 2007

thoughts on miyajima island


Miyajima. Little did I know about this island, just on the other side of Hiroshima.
I finally went further outside Osaka. For an overnight trip. Taking the Shinkansen, one of the fast bullet trains in Japan. With nothing but my backpack, my camera, and an open mind. It was clear last Tuesday morning as I arrived after 1.5 hrs on the train, and arrived in Hiroshima station. Once finding my hotel, and having a latte (my most favoritest things in Japan actually), I hopped onto the local train to the port of Miyajima. Once getting on the ferry, I had no idea what exactly I would be seeing. I was greeted by the bluest of oceans, and the bluest of skies, and Miyijima island approaching me, and the floating red torii in the water.

I instantly was captured by the beauty and intimacy of this island. Although seemingly huge, this island's feel is one of intimacy. To many mountainside shrines and pagodas to count, small japanese streets, old shops, traditional stores, monks walking in wooden shoes, and the smell of insense burning in the air. This island was mine for the taking. Endless walking paths, always encountering something new. I was even surprised by a mountain top open air cafe, with an entire view of the ocean and the red torii. As I sipped my green tea, a nacked on my japanase sweet, and wrote in my journal, felt the sun on my face and gazed out into the distance, I felt a glimpse of something that was beyond me.
Later in the afternoon, as the tide went out, hundreds of people gather around the torii, in the mud, to collect clams from the sand.
Having walked most of the day, I managed to catch the sunset on Miyajima. Lets see if I can set the scene for you: As I sat on the shores of the island, in between 2 mountains infront of me, the sun was slowly setting between these mountains. The sky turning various shades of pink and red. All of this taking place with the torii in the foreground.

As I was walking back to port to catch the evening ferry, I kept turning around to make sure that this was all still happening before my eyes. The setting sun, the ocean air, and the torii. Perhaps I will never have another day like this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

private amateure

Erotik Amateure

Amateur Dominas