Friday, March 09, 2007

contemplating the possibility of hiroshima

I wanted to quote you something that inspired me today. I was reading my trusty companion, Lonely Planet Japan, today while on the way to work. I'm trying to decide a place I want to go in the next couple weeks, after pay day. Hiroshima during cherry blossom season is said to be one of the most beautiful in Japan. Not to mention having the chance to witness all the compelling and emotional history there. Among the many things to see in Hiroshima, you can visit the Childrens Peace Memorial. I got goosebumps when reading this today. I wanted to share it with you:

"The Childrens Peace Memorial is inspired by leukaemia victim Sadoko. When Sadoko developed leukaemia at 10 years of age she decided to fold 1000 paper cranes - an ancient Japanese custom through which is it believed that a persons wishes will come true. The crane is the symbol of longevity and happiness in Japan and she was convinced that if she could achieve that target she would recover. She died before reaching her goal, but her classmates folded the rest. The story inspired a nationwide bout of paper crane folding, which continues to this day. Strings of paper cranes from all over the Japan are kept on display around the memorial." I guess thousands of these paper cranes are sent annually in memory of Sadoko.

I remember hearing this story of Sadoko in my 3rd grade class at Robert Rundle School. Mrs. Gogo (as we called here) was my teacher. Perhaps one of the best. I always remember her bright clothing and expensive purfume. And who could forget her distunquishable personality. I remember she organized an entire unit on the country of Japan for our 3rd grade class. We did flower arranging, made paper carps, folded cranes, tried chopsticks and even attempted caligraphy. Funny that I still remember it to this day. I don't think elementary school teachers realize what an impact they actually have on their students. Because Mrs. G's class was one of the most memorable grades for me. I remember she had a japanese dinner for our class one day, but myself and another girl couldn't make it. I ended up being sick. Mrs. G, without hesitation, then took me and this girl out for Chinese (close to Japanese, anyways) food the following week! Just the three of us! She is one of those teachers who is always in the back of my mind. She made ever student feel special. I felt special.

Funny, when ever I hear the story of 1000 paper cranes mentioned, I seem to get a chill. Never in my life did I think that I would actually have the possibility of going to visit there. Maybe Mrs. Gogo somehow planted a seed somewhere in my mind, way back in the day.

I get such a beautiful image in my head when I think of 1000 paper cranes. I think Hiroshima may be calling my name.

To Mrs. Gogo, my third grade teacher - I still hope you are teaching. This is for you.

4 comments:

Rip Rainer said...

When I think about Hiroshima and Nagasaki I remember how much I dislike the United States. :(

If you go and visit take lots of pictures for me :) I would love to see the cranes.

I finally sent out some resumes today, maybe I'll have a job soon, and some money...money would be nice.

xoxo
Julia

bri said...

wow, i want to see pictures too. please go, so i can see it vicariously though you!

Jane said...

i don't know if i can ever take pictures like you bri. i will try my best though!

Anonymous said...

I remember Mrs. Gogo...what a neat memory you have. She would love that. Mom