Wednesday, January 03, 2007

under the shade of the bamboo grove


Arashiyama is the picture of perfection. This is where another day trip took me to today. Old Japanese streets, people boating in the Togetsuko river, many women walking in traditional colourful kimono's, the smell of incense in the air. This prefecture kisses the feet of mount Orurayama. Bamboo and bonsai trees are all around.

Today, I walked the streets of this beautiful prefecture, just outside Kyoto. I wandered along the riverside, gazed at the mountains, and people boating, seemed to be something out of a storybook. Many small restraunts and beautiful lanterns line the street here, along with with many people as well. It is easy to loose yourself here, to the sound of traditional Japanese music seemingly coming from the mountains. Passing by Tenryuji temple, people are praying and the smell of a fire looms in the air.

I walked through a dense bamboo forrest, hearing the sound of the branches as I make my way around a corner, and come to an open area with a rice field, and just around the corner from this, and up a hill, is Jojkukouji shrine. I climb the never ending staircase up to the temple, turn around and see a commanding view over Kyoto. The porch of the temple is a good place to enjoy the moss garden here. Another steep path leads towards a beautiful pagoda. I spent time revelling in what seemed to be a dream, complimented by a rather foggy sky. I couldn't help but think, I was made for this moment.

I make my way down the hill, and back into the centre of the town. Many coffee shops, traditional Japense stores selling umbrellas and green tea ice cream. More women in kimono's. I stop to have a latte and look out the window to see couples walking hand in hand.

I make my way home on the Hankyu line. It is now night time, the moon is out, and tea houses light up the bank of the river. Today, I fell in love... with Arashiyama.

1 comment:

bri said...

I really enjoy this moment by moment life narration you have going here...It brings it to life: I can see it and hear it and catch the reflection of the teahouse lights!