Wednesday, January 17, 2007

two firsts.

Tonight were two firsts for me: travelling in an actual Japanese car and going to an onsen (asian spa). Two both scary and exciting events.

Scary? Why? you ask.
Reason #1. I was with my Japanese friend Kana, who is crazy, I'm convinced. She wips around in this small little car, through crowded traffic and small winding streets, and sometimes the wrong way down a one way. Driving in Osaka, is...well...mind boggling. It takes both guts and a certain amount of skill to drive here. 10% skill. 90% guts!

Reason #2. Once at the onsen, you are surrounded by, well, nudity (chuckling to myself now). But, you know, it actually does not have to be a scary thing, I'm learning. I guess its kind of everyones fear, isn't it? Being naked in public. For the Japanese, its a perfectly normal, communal activity. In a totally natural and healthy way, I mean. Besides - bodies - we all have them. And, we need to love them and take care of them. Something I think I'm learning to pay attention to more this year. This feels a litte funny to be writing about this. hmm...

We entered the building in Takatsuki city, took off our shoes and found our feet confronted with a bamboo floor. We paid the 800 yen fee, and walked to the change room, dis-robed (or whatever you call it), and proceeded to the pools. Its separated for men and women. It did feel a little strange at first...a little awkward. But, to my surprise, that all goes away once you sit in the hot, silky water. Kana made me feel so comfortable, showing me what to do and where to go. We soaked in a series of luxurious baths, some outside surrounded by rocks and trees. You actually feel quite secluded here. Like you are bathing in the side of a mountain or something.

I guess in the Okinowa area, its one of the most popular spots for onsens. She was telling me that the theory is many people live into their 80's and 90's here because of the healing properties of the water. I can see how this is probably true.

So, after our skin felt silky smooth, and baby soft (sorry, am I making you jealous yet?. my bad.), we headed back to Shin-Osaka. It was so good to be in a real car again. It made me miss my little Hyundai in Edmonton. Still, I think I will stick to the safety of the subway.

You can check out a few pics and a couple videos from tonight if you like. Sorry...only pictures of people fully clothed! (am laughing now!) Ok, someone change the subject...its too quiet in here.

www.dropshots.com/erickson_jane

6 comments:

Jacinda said...

wow, what an experience. To be able to be in a culture where there is a place you can truley unwind and let go, of everything. A place where everything around you is stripped away, and you are simply left as you. Sounds so peaceful. Im proud of you. Wish i could have been there jane.

Anonymous said...

Your car ride and visit to the onsen looked so much fun. I look forward to doing both when we come over in May. More pictures please. They're great. Love Dad

bri said...

haha...strange that you should post this today. I had just finished having a conversation with my sister about the initial awkwardness of naked, full body Swedish massages, and now this! I am so jealous my friend!

Jane said...

and also funny, because my family is swedish, oddly enough. good to hear from you again Bri.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jane:
What an adventure!
And we thought our last adventure together getting pedicures was cool! Don't know if you would get me to join you on your most recent outing though! Finding a place to glue those shiny beads we had glued to our toes would be interesting though!
Love ya lots!!

Anonymous said...

JANE!!! Happy new year! i have been updating myself on your blog, and it looks like such an amazing experience!! i miss you girl...God bless!!
Jenn Heids